Faculty of History

Faculty of History was one of the four faculties: History and Philology, Physics and Mathematics, Legal and Medical when 16 (28) May 1878 Emperor Alexander II signed a decree on opening Siberian University in Tomsk.

if.jpg if3.jpg

Structure of the Faculty:

Direction History

Direction International Relations

Direction Documentation and Archival

Direction Russia Regional Studies

if2.jpg if4.jpg

Faculty of History has Laboratory for Social and Anthropological Research. It was established in the framework of the project “Man in a Changing World. Problems of Identity and Social Adaptation in History and at Present” as a result of long-standing efforts of TSU historians and ethnologists to develop such lines of research and educational subjects as history, ethnography, ethnology, anthropology, and archaeology.

Today, the disciplines of social anthropology and ethnology are actively being developed at Tomsk State University in close collaboration with well-established Russian and international research and educational centres.

Tomsk State University holds the largest craniological collection in Russia. Currently TSU Cabinet of Anthropology is not just a place to store collections, but permanent centre of scientific processing. It produces demolition, restoration, certification of collections, archaeologists make a preliminary determination of sex and age and advisory work. One of the most important tasks for the staff at this stage is a processing and an introduction of previously collected and entering new craniological and osteological materials to the scientific research. Cabinet contains paleoanthropological sources from cemeteries from the Urals to the Far East, and their chronological period is from the Neolithic period to the present. Currently, there are 5,500 craniums from ancient and late burials, which are a fundamental source base for the study of ethnic and racial genesis peoples of Siberia.

Specialities: