The Mission of Tomsk State University
The highest priority of the University is to educate broad-minded, cultured individuals capable of independent scientific and philosophical accomplishments. University staff are actively developing modern approaches and techniques in all areas of activity, faithful to the traditions of their predecessors and enhancing the University’s status in the contemporary Russian and international scientific and educational environment.
Tomsk State University has received many awards for its achievements in the establishment and development of the nation’s science, education, and culture. In 1998, by Presidential decree, TSU was included in the State Code of Particularly Valuable Objects of Cultural Heritage of the Peoples of the Russian Federation. In 2010 TSU was awarded the status of a National Research university.
Tomsk State University, as a university of the research type, sees its mission as preserving and enhancing spiritual values of humanity in the production and dissemination of progressive knowledge and information, and in the advanced training of the intellectual leaders of society based on integration of the educational process with fundamental scientific research and innovative approaches.
The priority objectives of the University are:
- to serve the interests of Russia, to promote the development of its intellectual potential through the production of new knowledge and advanced training of the scientific and pedagogical, managerial, and cultural leaders of the society
- to improve the educational process by active use of innovative approaches and information technology in the service of combining the harmonious development of an individual with advanced training of specialists who are leadership-oriented in their fields
- to adequately represent the universities of Russia in the international scientific and educational arena, to integrate the University’s academic, intellectual, and informational potential with that of the leading Russian and international centers of higher education, science, and high technology
- to successfully develop scientific and pedagogical schools that are historically established and recognized by the international community in the humanities and in the physical, mathematical and natural sciences, through integration with the academic sector of science
- to provide science, education, and society with information services through the creation and functioning of a unified information science and learning environment
- to establish a coordinating role in the system of higher education for implementation of major projects in the field of education at various levels, in science, and in innovation
- to participate in the development of the economy on the basis of innovation, including the provision of staff support for high technology