On September 1, 2016, the Institute of Economics and Management (IEM) was formed on the basis of the Faculty of Economics, the Higher School of Business and the International Faculty of Management of TSU.
Tomsk State University is the founder of higher economic education in Siberia. In 1898, the Department of Political Economy and Statistics was opened. Since then, economic education at TSU has gone through a long, complex and dynamic path of development.
The Economics Department was established in 1955, and in 1963 it was transformed into the Faculty of Economics. During these years, the faculty organized the first laboratory dealing with the problems of economic planning of the Tomsk region.
The history of the International Faculty of Management dates back to 1992, when, by agreement with Ohio University (USA), a Russian-American college was established at Tomsk State University as part of the Education and Business in Siberia program. In 1998, he received the status of the International Faculty of Management.
The Higher School of Business opened in 1991, and already in 1992 it joined the Russian Association of Business Education. For 25 years, HSE has become one of the largest educational divisions of TSU.
The newly created division – the Institute of Economics and Management – is one of the first divisions at Tomsk State University, which began to implement the program principle of educational activity management. The purpose of this approach is to focus on the needs of the labor market and employers, as well as on students in training in–demand specialists, focusing on continuous improvement and updating of educational programs. In order to improve the quality of educational programs and respond more flexibly to changes in the labor market, educational program councils were created, which included, in addition to the academic community, representatives of business and public administration. Also, the IEM has created a board of trustees, which includes representatives of government, big business, and foreign academic society